Located at the corner of Seoul's busiest downtown intersection,
Deoksugung Palace is famous for its elegant stone-wall road.
It is also the only palace that sits alongside a series of western style
buildings that add to the uniqueness of the surrounding scenery.
Deoksugung Palace originally belonged to Wolsandaegun (1454~1488),
the older brother of King Seongjong (1469~1494) of the Joseon Dynasty.
It became a proper palace when Gwanghaegun (1575~1641) ascended the throne and gave the
palace the name Gyeongungung in 1611. Afterwards, the name was then changed back to its
orginal title of Deoksugung.
Upon entering Deoksugung Palace and Daehanmun, visitors will cross the wide bridge of Geumcheon.
The king's carriage would pass over this bridge during ancient times.
The Beopjeon Building Junghwajeon is very stately, revealing of its long history.
The Jeukjodang Building received its name from Gwanghaegun and Injo both ascended to the throne here.
The front sign on Jeukjodang was written personally by Gojong in 1905 after he became king.
Hamnyeongjeon was where Gojong slept, and Hamnyeong was named so to wish Gojong lasting peace.
The East Wing served as the Kings room, and the west wing was for the Queen.
Jeonggwanheon was the first western style building built in the palace in 1900. Gojong enjoyed drinking
coffee and spending his free time here.
The back of the building had secret passageways to the Russian Emissary, which still exist today.
Seokjojeon is the other western-style building that still remains in Deoksugung, and it was in the process
of being built by a British man for his company when in 1905 the property rights were transferred to Japan.
It was finally completed in 1910. After Gojong’s death, Seokjojeon became a Japanese art gallery
open to the public. After the Korean Declaration of Independence, the American-Russian joint commission
was held here as well in May 1946. The east wing of Seokjogwan building now serves as a Palace
Treasure exhibition, and the west wing is used as part of National Modern Arts Center.
The Junghwajeon (Junghwa Hall) was the center of politics during the period of Daehanjeguk
(the Great Korean Empire) and served as the backdrop to critical discussions on national affairs among
the countrys great leaders. The elaborateness of the halls interior is said to reflect the confidence of
King Gojong (26th king of the Joseon Dynasty, reigning 1863-1907) in his ability to effectual lead the
country into the 20th century. One of the most striking parts of the building is the pair of dragons that
decorates the canopy above the throne of the king.
These dragons can be also seen on the ceiling of Junghwajeon and were representative designs
of the Deoksugung (Palace), the imperial palace at that time.
Though the Junghwajeon was originally built in 1902 as a multi-roofed building, it was redesigned
as a single-roofed building in 1906 after it caught on fire in 1904.
The Junghwa Hall is one of the historical centers of Deoksugung (Palace), which stands proudly
alongside other notable buildings at the palace, such as: Seokeodang, Junmyeongdang, Jeukjodang,
Jeonggwanheon, Deokhongjeon, Borugak, and Jagyeokru.
Operating Hours: 09:00 - 21:00 (Ticketing 09:00 - 20:00)
- Junghwajeon Hall is open to the public every Saturday and Sunday from 09:00 to 16:00,
starting from May 1, 2010. Closed: Every Monday
Activity Information: Changing of the Royal Guards Ceremony ->
Ceremony Schedule: 11:00, 14:00, 15:30 (Closed on Mondays)
Reservation Info. for Foreigners: Tel +82-2-771-9955, Online Reservations ( English , Korean )